Thursday 13 February 2014

TOP 10 OPERATING SYSTEMS FOR COMPUTERS

10. Windows 8

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
I’ve tried Windows 8 in the hopes that it would solve some issues I had with the performance of my PC but even though it’s relatively lighter than Windows 7 (after all, it’s mostly made for people with mobile devices) I wasn’t really a big fan of it. Don’t get me wrong, I still like it enough to include it in my list, but thanks to Metro, it remains at number ten. The performance benefits were great but I feel they need to work on a it a bit more in order to make it more PC friendly.

9. Windows 7

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
I have several different machines and I use them for different things. My gaming rig runs Windows 7. As a long-time Windows user, I must say I was impressed with Windows 7, especially after that Vista fiasco I am still trying to forget. It strikes the perfect balance between performance and utility and has the added benefit of being one of the main PC platforms in the world, meaning most games and programs are made for it. Even though it’s not anything special, it’s a solid OS and I’m sticking to it for the foreseeable future.

8. Fedora

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
Let me start by saying that Linux has many, many distros and some of them will be featured on this list. Fedora is one of my favorite operating systems. It combines speed and innovation like no other OS. It has tons of tools and gives you the ability to do whatever you want with as long as you know what you’re doing.

7. Mac OS X

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
Mac OS X shines more with its design than functionality. It’s true that there are numerous different programs and tools at your disposal, but for most people it’s just a fancy way to access their Facebook while enjoying the eye-candy. It gets bonus points for appearance.

6. Ubuntu

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
Ubuntu is by far the most popular Linux distribution. It’s very user-friendly and has countless programs, application and customization options, especially with Compiz enabled. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Unity but that’s just a matter of personal preference.

 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                   5. Linux Mint
Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
Linux Mint is another great Linux distro which is fast and reliable, even with the KDE desktop environment. Linux Mint 15 (code name: Olivia) is a great OS for people who are making the transition from Windows.

4. Debian 

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
Debian is one of the most stable operating systems you can use and has all the benefits Ubuntu has to offer.

3. OpenSuse

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
One of my favorite KDE based systems, OpenSuse is a bit more demanding from resources standpoint but it’s completely worth it because it is gorgeous.

2. ArchLinux

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
ArchLinux targets the more experienced Linux users and a lot of the work through the text-based interface and commands. I wouldn’t recommend it to newer users, but if you have a grasp of using the terminal in other distros, you can give it a shot.

1. Puppy Linux

Top Ten Operating Systems for Computers
I still keep my first laptop. I saved for it for a long time and it’s still here to remind me that when I set my mind to something, I can achieve it. Puppy Linux enables me to still use because it’s one of the most lightweight distros you can find. It offers you style and performance and is perfect for older machines you don’t throw because of nostalgia.